Although the Chinese Blockbuster series does not show you how to write characters but rather how to read them, having some basic notions regarding the order in which strokes are written is useful. The reason is because this order is reflected in the order in which the building blocks are presented and listed under each character. Basically, all you need to know is this. When writing a Chinese character:
- Horizontal strokes are written before vertical strokes.
- A character is written from left to right.
- A character is written from top to bottom.
- When a character is framed in a box, the top of the box is written first, the content is written next and the box is closed last.
- In symmetrical characters, the middle is written before the sides.